Monday, May 3, 2010

Testing on the House

For those of you who don't know, Peter is doing research on a 1/3 scale model house he built. Back in March, he had to move it to put it in front of the hurricane simulator... which is no longer called a hurricane simulator, but I'm not sure what it's called now, so we'll stick with hurricane simulator. :) The kids and I were able to go see them moving the house from the lab to the simulator. It was quite the ordeal, so I thought it would be fun for the kids to see. They also ran the simulator and did a test while we were there.


Here are the kids just waiting for the action.


Here are a couple pictures of the house as it was being moved. Not an easy task, by the way. 1/3 scale does not mean small.


Another angle.


The simulator is made up of 8 large fans... Here is the fan part.


And the air intake...


And the diesel engines that run the simulator. They have mufflers on them because they used to be so loud the neighbors got a bit upset.

2 comments:

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

Cool. Did it pass the test??

Rene said...

I seriously think I saw that simulator (or whatever it is called) on Mythbusters