Monday, January 3, 2011

Primary Talk

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my church, which is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I want to give you a basic outline of our schedule, just for a bit of background to understand my story. Everyone meets together for Sacrament Meeting where we take the sacrament each week and sing songs and listen to members of the congregation give talks over the pulpit. Everyone gets a turn to be one of the members who gives the talks every now and again. We try to help people prepare for this opportunity from a very young age. (Which will be explained in just a moment.) After sacrament meeting, we split into different classes. The adults and youth go to Sunday School, which is a more interactive lesson generally taught by the same person each week. After Sunday School the men and women go to their respective meetings of Priesthood and Relief Society. Children stay with their parents until they are 18 months old. At that point, they join the nursery, where they play, have a snack, learn songs, and even have a short lesson of their own. When a child is 3 at the beginning of the year, they are moved into primary. Primary has several classes based on the child's age. Primary and nursery are held during the 2 hours after sacrament meeting while the adults are in their own meetings.

Anyhow, during primary, children are given the opportunity to give a talk at least once a year for the other kids in primary. Joshua gave his first primary talk on November 28. He did a marvelous job. He got up to the microphone, and spoke pretty boldly, no nerves whatsoever. In fact, he dictated he whole talk to me, with very little guidance from me. He did such a great job with it that I wanted it recorded so he can see it later on. So here it is.

"I have a work chart. I don't do it on Sundays because it's my service day. I can still help with the chores, but I can't put a sticker on my list. Instead, I do service for mommy. I feel happy and I love my mommy when I help her. When I'm helping mommy, I am helping Heavenly Father and Jesus, too. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

Maybe it's because he talks about me in it, but I am still touched when I read it. Thank you, Joshua, for all of your service. You love to help anyone who needs help, and I hope you can keep this kind heart as you grow older. I love you Joshua. - Mommy

No comments: