Friday, May 1, 2009

Jekyll Island

Note: This is a super long post. Sorry about that. Feel free to just glance at the pictures if the story is too long. :)

The weekend of April 16-18 (that was a Thursday through Saturday) we went camping at Jekyll Island, GA with some friends we knew in Clemson. We had such a great time. It was so pretty there, and there was so much to do.

Thursday evening we got there and set up the tent. We got there late enough that we had had to stop at McDonald's for a small dinner on the way in. After setting up the tent, we were still determined to have hot dogs for our "real" dinner, so we cooked some up for the kids. Neither of them took a bite. Oh well. So we went ahead and put them to bed. While they were going to sleep, I realized we'd left all that food out, but didn't think we were in any trouble yet. Oops! A raccoon had already made off with the kids dogs. So, Peter put up all the food that was still there. After the kids were asleep, we made some hot dogs for ourselves... over the camping stove thistime, since we couldn't get the fire going... oh well. I was soooo looking forward to a hot dog in a hot dog bun (a rare treat in my house, since we always use tortillas or bread). Come to find out, a raccoon had made off with all the buns, bag and all. So much for fire roasted hot dogs on buns. Oh well. I show you some pictures of our campsite, but I have a knack for deleting pictures, so we managed to lose a few, including the pictures of the campsite. :)

Trip to the Sea Turtle Exhibit

On Friday, we took a trip to see some Sea Turtles. That was pretty neat. The kids had a great time. They had a neat little room to learn about the turtles, and then they had a sea turtle hospital where we could look at the sea turtles they were treating. That was pretty neat. Full grown sea turtles can be HUGE!


Josh admiring a young Loggerhead turtle. He also got to see them feed it a little later. They call this one #11. So personal. :) That white square in the bottom is where they put the food. That way, the turtle has to work to get at the food so that when they release him to the wild, he'll already be used to not getting the food handed to him too easily. I can't remember what was wrong with this one, but they said they would be sending him back to the wild soon.

Did you know that sea turtles always return to the area they were born in order to lay their eggs?


Emily feeling the different textures of the different types of sea turtle eggs. They really are quite surprisingly different from each other and different from what you'd expect from looking at them.


Here is the head of a full grown sea turtle. I don't know about you, but if I saw a turtle with a head this big, I'd turn and run. I don't know if they still grow this big, but they found this fossil, so who knows?


Like I said, we went camping with some of our friends from Clemson. This is Tyler and Ainsley with our kids. They were all so happy to be there and had such a great time. By the way, Ainsley is the little girl Josh kissed when he was about a year old. I heard about it from someone at church who told me that Josh had just walked right up to her and planted a kiss right on her. Too bad I missed it.


Beach Time!

After we went to the Sea Turtles, we went over to a beach to see the ocean. It was too cold to swim or anything, but it sure was beautiful. It's so much fun to watch the kids explore something new.

Emily LOVED the water. It took all I had to keep her from jumping in to go swimming on her own.


This is an odd picture. We have no idea what it is. Peter and Thomas saw it as they were playing with the kids a little further down the beach. If you have any clue as to what this is, let us know.


One of the best parts of the beach is digging holes in the sand and making "sand castles." It's really neat how the holes automatically fill with water, too. That doesn't happen in our sand at the apartment complex.


After I got Emily away from the water, she decided this looked fun and came to join them.

Play Time!

Following the excursion to the beach, we decided to drive over to a mini golf course that happened to have a neat playground right next to it. Jekyll Island is such a fun place. I would love to go back some time. The kids had a blast, and we had so much fun watching them with their new adventures.

Josh is not a shy boy. He loves to hold hands with other kids. I'm glad he likes to make sure people know he likes to be with them. Such a sweet kid.


Is this the face of a kid who LOVES to swing? You bet!


Too bad for Emily, she's just a little too small to play mini golf, but you're never to small to play with the obstacles it seems. Of course, if there's something to climb in the near vicinity, you can be sure she has found it and is starting to ascend it by the time I notice it.


Josh getting ready to putt. How Josh plays mini golf... He hits the ball off the tee pad. When it stops, he takes it over to the hole, sets it down next to it, and hits it in. A score of 36 on 18 holes is not bad for a 3 year old.


Daddy was the lucky one who got to play golf with Josh. He just adores his Daddy. It is so neat to see them together and watch Josh as he tries to emulate him.

So, there were other photos, but I lost them. Oh well. We had a great time, and we look forward to our next chance to get out camping together.

3 comments:

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

Wow! What fun! Great pics too!!

I think the sea creature you happened upon is a skate sting ray.
I have caught a few in my day :- )

And I thought Josh just liked to hug and hold hands with Elizabeth!

Anonymous said...

That picture also looks like a horseshoe crab. Love to see the pics of your kids.

Marama

Dirk and Trish said...

Sounds so fun! Weird to think of digging on the beach as part of a campout. When you mentioned leaving the food out, I was like, you can't do that in bear country! I guess not many bears live down in Georgia, especially by the beach. That pic looks like something I wouldn't want to step on.